Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dear Professor Nestor,

Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful and fortunate for all of my mentors in my life, where I really would not be anywhere without their guidance.

I was reading the Archives of Surgery today and noticed this quote:

"Surgery is a science, an art, a type of practice and a profession with many distinct attributes. To call any one of them surgery is to diminish the value of the whole. Do not confuse the procedure, an operation or its site, the operating room, with a revered science."

I just hope that I can live up that one day. =)

Cheers,
Richard

ps. I bet all of your family is gathered right now in Virginia, and telling their stories about you. If I were there, I would have so many wonderful stories to share. The one I would choose to tell today? I remember the first time I was in your car, I vaguely remember it was for an early SI meeting, but I did notice that you drove manual. I was so impressed, and asked, "Wow. Have you been driving stick your entire life?"

You replied, "Is there any other way to to drive?"

That winter, I bought a 6-speed manual. I don't think I'll ever go back to an automatic.

No comments: